Your Personal Development Resource Center

Nightingale-Conant

Saturday, February 13, 2010

How the 'B' Word Hinders Your Progress

How many times have you (or someone you know) said:

“I would go back to school, but…”
“I would look for another job, but…”

or how about this one,

“We need to start an investment program, but…”

I could go on and on with enough “buts” to...well, never mind.

I am a guilty party to this entrapment of progress myself.

How do I know?

Given my God-given abilities and talents, I should be further ahead of where I am now. No, I’m not in a bad situation however, when I take inventory over my life to this point...trust me, I know.

For you English aficionados out there, you know that “but” is a part of speech that takes what is being said in the opposite direction.

Let me elaborate on that point for a moment. In our daily conversations at work, at home and even in our social circles, “but” interjected will change the flavor of where the conversation was headed--unless, it was planned that way. Let’s go back to my examples:

“I would go back to school, but I can’t afford it.”

“I would look for another job, but who would hire me at my age.”

“We need to start an investment program, but we have too many bills as it is.”

Each of these (and other) scenarios could have a different outcome with a different mindset.

I challenge all of you to remove your “buts” and replace them with solutions, instead of excuses to make progress towards your future dreams, desires and goals.

If you could use a little help with your 'but' click here for a resource that is just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: